Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Little Known History

I found the bit of history concerning Richardson and Fanning rather interesting.  I had heard of Richardson in the past because he had written Campbell's biography.  In more recent years, someone published a collection of Richardson's communion mediations along with a chapter on the emphasis on spirituality that Richardson espoused.  That was a very refreshing book.  This is the most I have read about Richardson.  I would like to see if I can find a copy of his book on the Spirit. 

In my classes I have had on Restoration History, nothing was ever said about Richardson other than the fact that he was at Bethany and had written A. Campbell's biography.  This, like the slavery issue in the Restoration Movement, was given no attention at all in the books and readings we were assigned. 

If I remember right, it was Tom Clark, a former member here, who had recommended this book, saying it dealt with a subject that we have not given a lot of attention to.  Restoration history books in the past were more like folk histories, celebrating the accomplishments of key leaders, often idealizing them.  This is why I appreciate the critical histories that have been published over the last couple of decades which have included events and topics that fill in some historical gaps.

No comments: