Monday, January 30, 2012

Ch 1: The Spiritual Journey Today

Hello, all!  Well, I just typed up a bunch, and then accidentally deleted, so hope I can remember what I wrote.

I am a bit overwhelmed with life right now, so decided to put God first and read the first chapter of our book.  I read page 32 several times, and these sentences jumped out at me.

"clash sharply with some of the theological tenets of the Churches of Christ...a tradition devoid both of language to talk about 'experiencing God' and a theological framework able to account for and discipline such experience."

"challenges of this new era can reopen doors to Christian truth and experience...awaken Christians to a more faithful and robust practice of their faith..."

I am not sure about the "theological tenets" referred to, but these sentences make me think how my mom always used to say that the Church of Christ did not teach or embrace the Holy Spirit the way that she understood from the Bible.  From my five years in Europe, I participated in Bible groups with women of other faiths.  There was a difference in the way those women spoke of their walk with God, more emotional, and seemingly with more faith and dependence, than the more legalistic and practical conversations with the ladies at the Church of Christ.

I guess that's it.  I did have a few more sentences, but not really sure how it fits in anymore, so look forward to hearing what you are getting out of the book so far.

- Samantha

3 comments:

John said...

Samantha, I had the same experience as I was growing up. As a general rule, we avoided the Holy Spirit. Most of our studies and discussions were more about what the Holy Spirit does NOT do, and little about what the Holy Spirit does today. I think most believed that the Spirit was part of the "Godhead," as they used to say, but unlike the Father and the Son, very little attention was given to the Spirit.

Becky said...

That part is totally true. I think we, "the Church of Christ", were so concerned about being considered like some other religions, that we shut down all the miraculous parts of what the Holy Spirit does in our lives. All we ever study is the "rules" and what we should do and not do. We rarely talk about what the Spirit can do through us, literally.

Fish said...

Wow! This is going to be fun! I've had the same experience as Samantha and John where too little attention was given to the Spirit. Or in the case of Pentecostal type churches too much attention is given, and then arise teachers like Benny Hinn who can heal using Jedi light sabres and sith electricity! Or self help feel good charismatics like Joel Olsteen. :) I'm with Becky and want to know what the Spirit can do through us/me? I think that could be our main purpose throughout this study? How can we rely on the Spirit if we don't know exactly what it is????